Monday, November 8, 2010

re-chemo

I didn't think I'd have to worry about chemo for my dad for a while. Thought we were set for a bit. He's only been ten months in remission. But after a whirlwind week and a half, Dad started a "chemo-lite" drug protocol on Friday.

He's ok, and it sounds like this plan is status quo in Europe for maintenance after chemo for the kind of cancer that dad has. And sounds like it will be so here soon as well.

Bottom line is that Dad's last CT scan showed some cancer growth, and his oncologist didn't want to wait to get started on this plan. 'Cuz last time they waited put Dad through hell and he almost died. Dad'll have treatments every Friday for four weeks on a 3-6 month cycle. Maybe forever, I think?? I don't know that part yet.

He won't be on some of the anti-nausea drugs with this protocol, so he may actually feel more sick with this treatment plan than he did when he was in full chemo. But his immune system won't be as vulnerable, and he won't lose his hair. And he won't be as tired. So better in the long run, I think.

Still have lots of questions, and headed into a holiday season glad this year Dad is at least in a little better shape than last year.

I think.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...