Tuesday, October 11, 2011

checking in

Lots has been going on over here. Feeling a need to catch up.

First, I'm not going to lie, the marathon was disappointing. Not a surprising disappointment given the ups and downs of my training, but disappointing nonetheless. I was hoping I'd feel great. I did, for the first 18 miles. By mile 20, some doubt crept in and I couldn't push it out. My knees were killing me, as were my feet, and I started to lag behind the pacer I was staying with and walk a bit. Thank goodness for a dear friend at 20.5 who ran/walked close to a mile with me, chattering the whole time and boosting my confidence. So thankful for the friends and family between 21-23, which is the hardest part of a marathon for me. Got a second wind and was able to cross the finish going strong. Stopped my garmin running 7:50 pace at the end, and cursed about where that was in 20-22. But it just makes me think I DO have a faster marathon in me. As opposed to last time, I finished thinking, "Ok, when's the next one?" Hungry for more. Took a week off and slowly getting back into it. First run was wretched, but starting to feel better now.

Second, work is kicking my butt. I'm happy with what I'm doing, but having a hard time staying afloat. What else is new? I was observed today for faculty review by the chair of the department. She had lots of lovely things to say afterwards, so taking that as a good sign.

Lastly, things are progressing splendidly with the new boy. We have complicated schedules (he splits custody of his two daughters and with my evening classes and orchestra, our schedule doesn't sync well), so we don't get a ton of time to see each other, but we're making it work. I could share lots, but will narrow to one story. Last week I snuck out of work for a bit to meet him for lunch. He asked about my music background and in the course of the conversation I told him about this piece that I love that I played for my junior recital. When he was over last night, he asked if I had the piano part to the piece. He wants to learn it so we can play together.

Melt my heart.

Since I have gone on a date with a guy who, upon telling him I play violin, actually responded, "Ew. Why?" this was an unbelievable improvement. While I never needed a guy who was a musician himself, I've always looked for a guy who "gets" my commitment and passion for making music and won't complain if he has to occasionally go to a concert of mine. Maybe I've found it? It's still early, but really happy right now.

2 comments:

  1. You are an accomplished woman! Glad to hear you may have found a man that appreciates you for your talents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the work review went well. AND I'm happy about new guy. Sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...