Friday, May 4, 2012

about face

I go out, occasionally, on these set-ups that end up being pretty awkward. Usually, only one person knows it's a set up. By the by, potential setter-uppers, this is not the way to do it. Although it is highly uncomfortable to be watched by everyone at the table whether you are hitting it off, it is far better than wondering why the hell everyone is whispering behind your back or (worse) knowing why the hell everyone is whispering and wishing they'd stop. Best that everyone is in the know.

Ok, so I went on one such set-up several weeks ago. It was a quick after work happy hour, and the guy was nice and asked my colleague for my number. But I never heard from him. After a week, I figured he wasn't interested and forgot about it.

Fast forward three weeks. I get a text Monday night "Hey, this is ____ . I lost my phone and just got a new one, so this is my new number. Want to grab dinner sometime?" I am getting old, and my memory for names has always been terrible, but I have to admit that I stared at that text for at least 5 minutes before the synapses fired and I made the connection that it was the happy hour guy. He was nice enough so I wrote back that sure, we should go out. We make plans to meet the following Monday evening.

Not 10 hours after our date was set, I receive a 3 part text-novel saying that his relationship status has changed and it would be inappropriate for him to go out with me and that it wasn't planned and he hoped I didn't think he was a jerk. I replied, "Ok. Thanks for letting me know." Which apparently wasn't satisfying enough, because I got another 3 part text-novel saying that he's not the kind of guy that can date more than one girl and that he wished he'd met me sooner and blah, blah, blah. Like I care. The only good thing here is that nothing was invested so little can be lost!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...