Normally when a woman posts on a blog with a title "XX weeks," she follows that up with a picture of her growing belly. I am hoping that over the next 18 weeks mine shrinks. But that's beside the point. I figured out that as of today, I am officially 18 weeks away from the 70.3 I am planning to attempt. Which also means, then, that I am 16 weeks away from my goal race for the spring, the Green Bay Marathon.
I was flipping out about this earlier this weekend, thinking that there was no way I'd be back to race condition in 16 weeks. I know I can always just run the marathon, but frankly, marathons are brutal, and I don't want to put my body through one if I don't think I can get close to a BQ. But then I realized that my year anniversary with the club is coming up this week. And though I've been set back by injury, I'm about in the same place mileage- and speed-wise as I was last year at this time. I think that I'll be able to get back to where I was in May (well, minus the stress fracture). The marathon is really my main focus, but I should probably do something about that tri also.
So what am I doing to stay on track? I have a spiffy new training plan that includes 2-3 rides (for now on my new trainer - fun fun), 2 swims, and 1 weights workout a week, plus the 4-5 runs. The runs and weights are givens - no compromise on those. I will make sure to get at least 1 long ride and 1 long swim in each week. I will listen to my body on the rest.
I was flipping out about this earlier this weekend, thinking that there was no way I'd be back to race condition in 16 weeks. I know I can always just run the marathon, but frankly, marathons are brutal, and I don't want to put my body through one if I don't think I can get close to a BQ. But then I realized that my year anniversary with the club is coming up this week. And though I've been set back by injury, I'm about in the same place mileage- and speed-wise as I was last year at this time. I think that I'll be able to get back to where I was in May (well, minus the stress fracture). The marathon is really my main focus, but I should probably do something about that tri also.
So what am I doing to stay on track? I have a spiffy new training plan that includes 2-3 rides (for now on my new trainer - fun fun), 2 swims, and 1 weights workout a week, plus the 4-5 runs. The runs and weights are givens - no compromise on those. I will make sure to get at least 1 long ride and 1 long swim in each week. I will listen to my body on the rest.
Wow, woman! You inspire. I didn't know you are doing the marathon so soon. You got it!
ReplyDeleteP.S. Finally saw Silver Linings Playbook last night and laughed out loud with he threw Hemingway!
This sounds amazing!! Yay! I'm also doing a spring marathon - Mpls. I've done it before. I don't know if I can get close to a BQ, but I'll probably try.
ReplyDelete