Friday, March 19, 2010

dating dissertation "advice"

The funny thing about writing a dissertation is that most people have no idea what that means. I recently went on a date with a man who asked, “So that’s like a big paper for class?” Um, no. When another man I dated found this out he quipped, “Oh, I can give you tons of advice about that. I wrote a couple books, you know. If you google me, you’ll see them.” Yeah, a couple of tech reports your company published with some of your charts in them a book does not make. I know, this sounds harsh. I am being an uppity snob about this. However, this PhD/dissertation thing has been by far the most time intensive, difficult, maddening endeavor I have ever attempted. Marathon be damned. This is so much harder.

Before the sweet, naïve boy, I dated a man who had actually conquered the dissertation. When he asked about my study, he told me I was doing it wrong. My design was flawed, and I wasn’t going to be able to answer the questions that I was studying. Are you kidding me? You’re in a completely different field (linguistics), and a mostly complete stranger, telling me that my dissertation study is wrong. Do you honestly think you’re going to get a second date?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...