Not that I need a 4th book club. Really, what am I trying to prove? And let's face it. I only read 2 of the 3 books for this month's book clubs. So I'm not always a very good member of the ones in which I'm already a member. But a friend really wanted to check out Books and Bars and since I've always wanted to see what it was about, I was in.
There's something to be said, certainly, about the ongoing relationship with books and people that is built with a small, regular book club. I love the 3 I'm in, and can't imagine not having them (yes, in spite of my occasional lack of participation). But the idea of a semi-anonymous book club is pretty cool too.
We read The Help, by Kathryn Stockett. I can't say it was my favorite book ever. But it was a fast, compelling, enjoyable read. I won't think about it much now that it is done, but it was an easy read - perfect for my recent bout with ADD. The discussion was really interesting. Character development, past and current race issues, the complexity and discomfort of having someone from the majority culture write the perspective of the minority culture, the weirdness of the pecker pie guy. I mean really. What the hell was that?
But I think I'm hooked on Books & Bars. At least for a while. I can't make the next one because, darn it, I'm hosting one of my other book clubs on the same night. But I plan to go in August. We'll be reading Room by Emma Donoghue. I know some of you have already read it. If you're interested in joining me, just let me know!
If you're gonna join another looks like a good one! ADD?
ReplyDeleteQuestions: did you actually comment/say anything? how many people? are you ready for Room?
ReplyDeleteI'd be interested in attending. Shoot me the date. It's in Mpls though, right :)
@Sarah Jane Not really ADD. Just having a hard time focusing for more than a few minutes on anything lately.
ReplyDelete