The look on my sister's face as I was headed to the finish line said it all. I had last seen her at mile 10, just before I bonked. She knew I had slowed down a lot and would be frustrated with my finish. It was a painful look to see reflected back at me, but was perfectly accurate for what I was feeling. 5 minutes to non-runners may not seem like much, but it's a huge amount of time when you're trying to beat a past PR. I started with the 8:24 pacer, but he ended up running closer to 8:10s, which is too fast for me, and made me a little crabby. If you want to run 8:10s, don't be the 8:24 pacer. I ran two miles with that group, hoping things would even out, but when the times didn't slow, down, I fell back to running 8:25s, my goal pace. 8:10s are not too too fast for me to run a couple miles, but I didn't think it was quite sustainable for a half. Things were moving along just fine. I got to mile 9 and thought, '4 miles? I got this.' Silly me.
Shortly after I past 10.5, I just died. My legs felt like big, brick chimneys, my breathing was all off. I was suddenly worried not about making my goal time but rather finishing at all. I walked through a water stop - the first time I've ever walked at all during a race. And that was the kiss of death. I did get going again after the water, but could only do a slow run/walk from miles 11.5-12.5. I was in a passing / passed by dance with a woman who was also struggling with finishing. At the same time we looked at each other and said, 'let's get through this together.' Her name was Megan, and I took it as a good sign. We indeed finished the last half mile running up a hill that normally barely phases me but felt like Kilimanjaro yesterday.
So I finished 5 minutes slower than my goal time. It could have been worse, yes. In the grand scheme of the world I recognize this is not a big deal. But it has never happened to me before, and it has me a little baffled. I'm in better shape than the last time I ran a half marathon, and I ended up 30 seconds slower. I trained hard, but not outrageously so. I tapered. I ate well last week, and got enough sleep. One bad run does not mean I'm destined to race poorly from now on. But I don't know what to do differently so it doesn't happen again. Yes, it was humid, and perhaps my body wasn't ready for a long run in that heat. Lots of folks were collapsing on the route. But I hydrated more than I normally do, before and during the run.
A little worried. But I'll be back at it after a few days off.
http://tramm-isms.blogspot.com/
ReplyDeleteThought you'd appreciate her experience with the full.
Congratulations on persevering! I think you are amazing! Every day is full of diff. circumstances, so your next run may feel completely different. Keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteglad for Megans. you'll get em next time, Kate. no worries.
ReplyDelete@Sarah Jane Thanks for that. Not that I'm happy to see others struggled, but it is good to know I wasn't alone. I still feel a little crummy that it got the best of me, but I'll move forward.
ReplyDelete@Heidi Thanks, Heidi! Another day, another run. I'll just keep plugging away.
ReplyDelete@Jen Thanks, Jen! Appreciate your support.
ReplyDelete