Sunday, August 5, 2012

slow progress

My leg is starting to feel a lot better. The last few days have been the first days since May that I haven't felt some level of pain in my leg. Most of the pain I've been feeling is referred pain, feeling it in my ankle, calf, and Achilles, rather than in the shin which is the actual site of the fracture. But al that pain is gone, and I know I'm healing.

This is making me really antsy to get back to running. Up till now, though I've missed running, the pain I was feeling made it clear I couldn't get back out there. I was going a bit crazy this weekend, cheering for a half marathon on Sat and riding my bike around the path with the team on Sunday. Don't worry, I won't do anything stupid. But I'm anxious.

My body is really showing the effects of this injury. I've lost an inch of muscle off my calf and 3/4 inch off my quad in my right leg. When I flex that leg, I can't feel any tone in my calf. It will be a long recovery, but coach assured me I'll come back stronger than when I left. That I'm doing everything right, and come March, I'll be ready to really kill a marathon. In the mean time, I got to try out an Alter G treadmill, which is strange and super cool. I'm (mostly unrealistically) hoping that I get to run a bit on it this week in PT, but I'll just have to see what the doc says. I'll be fine with a walk too. Whatever it takes to get back to form.

Keeping busy swimming and biking. Swimming and biking. Making the best of the cross-training (even though I'm not crossing it with anything right now). I'm going to try to swim 2 miles tomorrow. I'm slow as molasses, but at least I'm keeping active.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...