I'm teaching a Young Adult Lit class this term, and I'm way way more excited about teaching it this year than last year. I have a whopping 9 students in the class this year (as opposed to 3 last year), and the class is hybrid - half face-to-face, half online. I don't love the hybrid part exactly, but it means that the class is only an hour and 40 minutes long instead of 3.5 hours. Which was torture with only 3 students. So I like the 9 students part.
Anyway, last night I had the "80s Pop" Pandora station playing as students were coming into class. The song "Faithfully" by Journey came on. I haven't heard that song in years and years, but it is the song that I danced with the guy I had a major crush on at the Homecoming dance my junior year. I have not thought about that for probably 20 years, but that speaks to the power of music. I was instantly transported back to my high school cafeteria, lights out, dancing 90s sway style to Journey in my favorite purple shirt.
Isn't it amazing how a smell, image, song, voice, can transport you to another time and place, even when standing in front of a new crew of students?
Anyway, last night I had the "80s Pop" Pandora station playing as students were coming into class. The song "Faithfully" by Journey came on. I haven't heard that song in years and years, but it is the song that I danced with the guy I had a major crush on at the Homecoming dance my junior year. I have not thought about that for probably 20 years, but that speaks to the power of music. I was instantly transported back to my high school cafeteria, lights out, dancing 90s sway style to Journey in my favorite purple shirt.
Isn't it amazing how a smell, image, song, voice, can transport you to another time and place, even when standing in front of a new crew of students?
0 comments:
Post a Comment