Today I convinced a seventh grade reading teacher that it was, in fact, important for kids to read during reading class. Deep breaths.
My adviser told me today she wasn't going to take anything (read: my dissertation) with her when she is away all of July at a conference and then vacation. So I need to finish my draft by mid-June. Which means I have 6 weeks to write a 300 page book. Deep breaths.
The overwhelmed feeling only continued when I received an email today with my proposed course schedule for next year. Not that I didn't think I'd be teaching lots, but I've had to quiet the panic a lot today thinking about six different courses and supervising practicum and student teachers. Deep breaths.
One of the classes, and I laugh as I write this, is Kindergarten Methods. Kindergarten. I don't think I've been in a Kindergarten classroom since I was in Kindergarten. Theoretically, I know what goes on there besides the literacy stuff, but never having taught it myself, I'm not super sure. The joys of small departments. Kindergarten is an awesome responsibility. I want future teachers in my class to feel confident leaving my course. I will need to spend lots of time with 5 year olds and their teachers this summer.
The other classes I'm thrilled about. Children's Literature. YA Lit. Preschool/Primary Literacy. Elementary/Middle School LA Methods. Teachers as Leaders in a Changing Society. Couldn't have developed a better course schedule. Except, of course, repeating a course or two instead of six new ones all in my first year. Bring it.
And deep breaths.
0 comments:
Post a Comment