Thursday, July 29, 2010

a stroll down memory lane

In my haste to comply with the official-ish request for personal information, I think I gave away one of my emails too. I don't exactly remember if I wrote down my email address on the form, but I think I did. Not the password or anything (I might be stupid, but I'm not THAT stupid), but I'm afraid it wouldn't be hard to crack.

I didn't use my yahoo account for much anymore, though a few of my bills/reminders were sent to that account. I decided to be safe rather than sorry, and went through the process of updating my email preferences for all my bills that were sent there, and deactivating the email account.

To be safe, I deleted all my mail folders, and made sure to delete my trash. I also went through and deleted all my sent mail, just as an added precaution.

This was like a visit from the ghost of boyfriends past.

I used to use the account for match.com, and it was my personal email from shortly after college until 2006 or so. And I guess yahoo doesn't automatically delete sent mail. So every single email I'd sent from that account, dating back to 1999, was in that folder.

In deleting all those messages, I was reminded of guys I had completely forgotten I had dated. Of indiscretions that were fun, and mistakes that were bad. I was struck by how long and far back a couple of the relationships had been, something I guess even I didn't realize. Lots of memories - some good and some that should have been left to a spotless mind.

I thought about saving a few for posterity's sake, but decided against it. What would I do with them?

So one less email account to worry about.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...