Wednesday, July 28, 2010

stupidity: a lack of intelligence, understanding, reason, wit, or sense.

I am clearly not plugged in.

This past year, I worked as a literacy coach for a middle school, and was paid as a consultant. I did not initially realize how much extra work this would cause in terms of taxes. I have to send in quarterly statements and checks with state and federal tax approximations from my earnings, and have had lots of additional paperwork quarterly and during tax time.

I was not paying attention when I received some official-ish document asking me to verify my tax information and social security number. And I did. Filled in my SS#, signed it, sent it off on Monday. Didn't make a photocopy or anything. It looked official. I've been recently worried about being audited because of all this new tax stuff, and was afraid if I didn't return the form on time, I'd get flagged. Also, it said I would be fined $50 if I failed to comply. I don't like fines. I follow rules.

Stupid. I am so stupid. Might as well have sent my life savings to a prince in Nigeria. Surely someone with a PhD wouldn't have done this, so it's good I don't have mine yet and can claim ignorance.

I am certain that my identity has now been compromised and in the middle of all this dissertation crap, I had to figure out how to get my fraud alerts on my credit so no one can get a $500,000 mortgage or open 25 credit cards in my name. Realized this at 2 in the morning yesterday, and spent all day yesterday figuring this stuff out.

My body does not handle stress well. As such, it sounded and felt as though a freight train was making the rounds in my stomach all day. Pilates last night helped me breathe a little, and I'm resolved not to be so dumb next time.

And so now thanks to Equifax and $15.95 a month, I'll get constant monitoring of activity on my accounts and if anyone opens a credit card in my name, I'll get a call. Following the rules helps sometimes: right now I have an awesome credit score.

Let's hope it stays that way.

2 comments:

  1. OH MY LORD!! That sucks, Kate. Yuck. Goodness gracious. Good thing I'm not as organized as you, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does suck. I'm so upset with myself for not paying more attention to things. It makes me wonder what else has slipped past me over the last few months.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...