Saturday, December 15, 2012

without words

I can't stop thinking about the tragic incident in Connecticut, grieving for those families, the school, the community. I spent yesterday and most of today remembering the many times I thought through procedures in the event of a emergency with my students - where we'd hide, what I could do to keep them safe. I hate that we live in a world where the most innocent of us all were taken from this world so horrifically.

I was asked by our PR person at the university to be interviewed on the news last night to give advice to parents on how to talk to children about the events from Friday morning. I told her I was completely unprepared to give that kind of advice. I could barely stop crying myself, and it is so far outside my expertise, I wouldn't have anything to truly help a parent know how to support children in this time of tragedy. I know how I might have tried to talk about it with fifth graders, as I did after Columbine and 911 and Red Lake. But I was without words in this instance.

1 comment:

  1. We told #1 this morning and it was so very hard. Devastating.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...