Friday, December 24, 2010

learning to vacation

I need some practice being on break. It's been so long since I've had a series of days where I didn't have to do work that I think I've forgotten what to do with myself.

Since being "on break" the last 48 hours I:

- spent yesterday in the third ring of hell, I mean the Mall of America
- raked the roof (again) and shoveled the driveway (again)
- did 5 loads of laundry (I don't know how I generated this much, but I did apparently)
- scrubbed my kitchen floor, particularly this gunky place between the oven and wall that I've been meaning to get to since, oh, I moved in nine years ago
- cleaned the oven
- vacuumed twice
- ironed
- stitched up two shirts that needed fixing and sewed three buttons back on various jackets
- finished my Christmas shopping
- wrapped all my Christmas presents (ok, though, that's legit. it had to get done)
- organized the bookmarks on my laptop
- visited a friend
- made 4 batches of playdough (in 4 fun neon colors)
- watched a disturbing movie that I wished I hadn't
- applied for a travel grant for an upcoming conference
- paid bills
- knit a scarf (though I can't remember how to bind off and since it was just practice, I unraveled it)
- made cookies for my neighbor as a thank-you
- ran twice and went to bodypump twice
- waterproofed my boots
- practiced my violin


At this rate, I'll need a break from break. It feels like nervous energy, but I don't know what I should be nervous about. I suppose I just need to slow down. The next 3 days at my parents will force that. I'll probably need to take naps to get away from the family fun for a while. That'll do something to help take it easy, I guess.

2 comments:

  1. You will need a break from break! Adding some wine to this mix might slow you down. Please drink a glass for me. I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, the unraveling of the scarf is just crazy. Slow down! I have to know what the disturbing movie is, mystery woman.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...