Chronicling my own education of all kinds - life as an assistant professor, learning to be a wife, and coming to terms with flaws.
Thursday, January 12, 2012
be the match
I'm embarrassed to admit that before this week, I had not done the work to be on the bone marrow donor registry. There is no excuse. I should have done this years ago. No reason I hadn't, just didn't make it a priority to think about it at the right time to fill out the 5 minute questionnaire, donate a little money, and swab my cheeks. Sent off my swabs earlier this week. And then I wait and hope I can help someone one day.
Labels:
new years resolutions
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good for you! I did it a couple years ago. One of Peggy's friends was chosen to donate several years ago, then was able to meet the recipient- a young girl. Totally worth it. It would be more helpful, though, if you could be a person of color. (if you could work on that.)
ReplyDeleteI had a colleague who was able to donate a few years ago and found it to be a profound experience. Given the amount of blood cancers in my family, it's a little appalling that I wasn't already on the registry. But no use feeling bad about that, especially now that it is rectified. I'll work on the person of color thing :)
Delete