I took the plunge and joined that running club I mentioned a while ago. I don't have the energy or time to do something new, but I decided I did have the energy to try a new context for something I already do. I guess this is my way of fighting my malaise.
I was really nervous to start, especially since my first run with the group (this past Tuesday evening) was going to be a 3 mile time trial at the Metrodome to determine our spring training pace plan. The Dome is open Tuesday and Thursday nights for running around the upper concourse, which is a little under a half mile a loop. I'd never gone running at the Dome, though I've been curious about it, and I'd never done a time trial either. Add to that the fact that I don't know anyone in the club, so I didn't know how to find them once I got into the Dome. Equals a really nervous runner.
As luck would have it, the club was pretty close to the top of the stairs once I got into the Dome and I recognized the logo on the coach's shirt. So I introduced myself and he told me to warm up a couple laps. And then we lined up and were off. I was having trouble with my watch, so I couldn't calculate pace and just ran. And it turned out pretty well for me. I ran a 22:41, which is about 7:35 min/mile pace, which is faster than I've been since I did my last track workout back in September. Despite my speediness, I was one of the slowest runners there. Which I've decided will be really good for me, as long as my ego can handle it. I need to be pushed, and push this will do.
I went again on Wednesday, since that run was leaving from the Longfellow Grill which is about a mile and a half from my house. We did a six mile loop and then ate at the Grill for dinner. I ran pretty well again, at about 8:15 min/mile pace. Again, pretty fast for me lately. But it felt good. The coach ran with me, along with another guy, and we chatted about my background and goals. The coach told this amazing story about one of the women in the club who had done two marathons at 4:20 and 4:25 pace but wanted a BQ time so she joined the club. She had, though, one of those bodies and running stride that indicated that she had some speed. Her next marathon, she ran a 3:38. And then six months later, she ran a 3:15. So in 18 months, she shaved an hour and five minutes her marathon time. Quite a success. The coach said he couldn't promise me a 3:15, but he could promise improvement. I'll take it.
I might be in for it this weekend, as we're doing a hill workout Saturday and a long run on Sunday. I've never done a workout before a long run. I bet I'll be sore Monday!
This is awesome! I'm excited to follow your progress.
ReplyDeleteHoly cow! You're so effin' fast!! And way to be brave in a new environment. I'm not nearly as brave and I'm waaaaay slower.
ReplyDelete