Sunday, January 22, 2012

general malaise

A friend and her husband have a running joke about suffering from 'a general malaise,' and when I reflect on what I'm feeling as of late, that seems like a pretty accurate description: a vague or unfocused feeling of mental uneasiness, lethargy, or discomfort. I tend to be pretty good at 'fake it til you make it,' but I'm running out of fake. I know from experience that this is likely due to the cold and darkness, but it seems worse than the last couple years. I know some of it is also stress due to the new semester and my impending new schedule teaching two night classes and two online classes, neither of which I'd prefer to do if given a choice. I've become neither a morning nor night person, struggling to get up and sleepy (but can't sleep) all evening. The unfocused part is particularly a problem, since I have 19 books to reread before my YA Lit class starts next Wednesday. Oops. Might not be ready with it all for day 1 I guess. I'm bringing my light box to work to see if a few fake rays helps a bit. I can't decide if I should lean into my malaise or fight against it.

4 comments:

  1. Has the light box been helping? Hang in there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to read this! I hope the sunshine today will help. Do you really have to read all 19 books? It seems that skimming is acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Light box is sort of helping a bit. I'm never going to make it through all the books. I'm adjusting my expectations to what "read" means. I'm hoping to be one week ahead of my students. That's all I can hope for at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One week ahead? Sounds just like my first year teaching high school. Face it, you do know much more than they do, even if you don't have the books committed to memory.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...