Friday, June 4, 2010

expert

One of the terrifying things about what I'm doing, where I'm headed, is that I'm supposed to be some sort of expert soon. You get a PhD - expert.

I've had a bit of a taste of that this year as a reading specialist/literacy coach for a school district. Only a taste. But I've had to become pretty quick with spouting research, and then making it practical. And I know which teachers want to know what is effective, even if it's hard work and they have to change what they're doing, and who needs to be shown something is effective before they'll buy in.

I met with the dean at my new job yesterday. Saw my office space, filled out paperwork, got my computer ordered. And I left really excited about this new phase of my career. And I started to freak out.

I'm going to be THE elementary literacy person at this university. I'm coming from a huge department, with lots of smart heads that can come together. Granted, lots of smart heads presents a new set of challenges, but at least if I didn't know something, I knew someone who would - and then some.

I think exciting and terrifying is how a lot of the last five years have been with this grad school journey. I should be used to it by now.

1 comment:

  1. So many transitions. I hope the next few years are a bit calmer for you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...