Saturday, August 20, 2011

August 5, Day 12

All too soon, it was time to leave. Usually when I get to the end of a trip, I'm pretty ready to get home. Ready for my own bed, my own schedule. Do laundry and eat normally again. There was no part of me that was ready to leave. Partly I knew that the work was in a tremendous pile waiting for me, and to return home was a sentence to work. But also it was that I had such an amazing time. So I was grateful for the trip and sad it was done.

We stopped at the bakery on the corner of Carrie's block for breakfast - my last spanikopita from this great bakery. I think I'd be huge if I lived two blocks from it, yum!! Carrie walked me to the bus and rode with me to the metro station, where I'd catch a train to the airport. When the metro pulled up, I started to cry, which caused Carrie to cry. It was a blubbery mess.

The rest of the day was a typical day of travel. I ended up sitting next to a neurosurgeon from NYU on the flight from Athens to Newark. She's Greek, and when she asked where we'd gone she said, "That's the trip I would have wanted! How did you know to plan such a fabulous trip to all those places?!" Yay for Carrie's friends' recommendations. Awesome.

I had planned to stay awake for the entire travel day, but by the end of the layover and then the flight from Newark to MSP it was well over 2 am Greece-time, and I was too tired to stay awake. But it turned out just fine - I got home, unpacked a bit (outside, because Carrie occasionally has cockroaches and she warned me to be careful in case of a stowaway), climbed into bed, slept just fine, and didn't feel too bad the next day. I mean, aside from being super sad to be done.

A highlight of my life, it was. A trip I'll always remember.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...