Once we made it to Nafplio, we parked and headed straight up the 999 steps to the top of the Palamidi Fortress Citadel. Though it was 116 degrees and high noon, we were undeterred (and frankly, since this was our only day in Nafplio, had no choice if we wanted to see it). This is the bottom of the stairs. According to legend, a wish made at the bottom comes true if you make it to the top. I made it to the top... we'll see about the wish.
Though we were dripping sweat and I kept getting sunscreen in my eyes, the views of the city and sea were breathtaking and completely worth the workout.
Don't you love these trees? I have to find out what they are called, but I just loved them. I think they inspired Dr. Seuss.
After the climb, we went to Carrie's favorite Nafplio restaurant. It did not disappoint. After stuffing ourselves with lunch, we walked town a bit and headed back to the pension for a rest.
One of the trip highlights happened that evening. When we were planning our visit, Carrie noticed that the Epidavros Festival was going on while we were in Nafplio. We totally lucked out. Kevin Spacey was starring in Shakespeare's Richard III at the Ancient Theater of Epidavros the one night we were going to be in Nafplio (the closest town to the theater). She stayed up late to get the tickets as soon as they went on sale, and we were the envy of many tourists and locals alike.
The amazing cast.
Yup, that's Kevin Spacey right there.
I'll never forget that amazing opportunity. Kevin Spacey is a truly phenomenal actor. I couldn't get over his commitment to the character. His timing was perfect; he was just amazing. And while I can't say that stone seats for 3 hours is the most comfortable way to see a show, it was all part of the experience. And there was still more trip to go!
0 comments:
Post a Comment