Tuesday, August 9, 2011

July 28, Day 4

Though I didn't really want to, I woke up really early to do a 10 mile run. I knew I needed to get one long-ish run in while I was gone, and didn't think I could do more than 10. The good thing about the run was that since it was a small island, I got to see most of it that way. There wasn't a road that went all the way around the perimeter, but I did two out and backs and saw most of it. Also, I got up early enough that the run was mostly pre-sunrise so I didn't have to worry about sunburn. And I got to see the sunrise over the water. I kept getting distracted at the end of the run by the beauty of it all, so didn't keep pace very well, but no matter.

We had picked up some fruit and greek yogurt for breakfast and after a somewhat leisurely morning, we headed to the beach for the day. We snagged front-row lounge chairs under umbrellas and settled in for the day.

That's Carrie enjoying the water on a floaty thing.



One of the perks of the lounge chairs (it did cost 6 euro, but worth it) is that someone comes around and will bring you drinks and/or food. We brought food for lunch to save a little money, but did splurge for pina coladas. Not exactly "greek," but definitely beachy. Yum.




I read a ton in the shade - finished Richard III and read most of Fly Away Home. It was wonderful. Some of Carrie's Greek friends met up with us in the afternoon, and it was great to meet them. We packed up and headed to the other side of the island for sunset. It was really beautiful, and we had the beach mostly to ourselves, save the two in this pic.




Getting this pic back I realize I need to do something about my teeth. Have never done any whitening or even used a whitening toothpaste before, but after all that coffee and red wine I think they look a bit dingy. Oh well. It's a good one anyway!

It was a perfect perfect day. It was a wonderful reward for all that hard work the last two, or I guess six, years!

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your Greece posts so far! You make it sound like a dreamy place. So glad you finally had a well deserved vacation and that you had so much fun!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...