Yesterday, I learned more about the mission and vision of my new workplace, as well as what it means to be a women's college at the heart and a university grounded in the liberal arts and infused with the Catholic identity.
I learned that SCU:
- is the largest women's college/university in the country
- has the highest percentage of racially/ethnically diverse students of any private college in the state
- was the first Catholic institution recognized by Phi Beta Kappa
I have to admit that there were aspects to being a Catholic institution that scared me a little. Though raised a Catholic, I've been a bit lapsed lately. In between stress about grad school and the job search, I've struggle with my anger at the church in so many ways. However, I think that if the Catholic church had listened to Sister Amata Miller, IHM, PhD today talk about what it meant to be Catholic as it pertains to higher education, the church might not have people leaving in droves. Seriously, after listening to her, I was inspired enough to consider attending mass again at the university. Who can argue with the core principles of human dignity, of caring for dear neighbors without distinction, of reaching out to the poor and marginalized, of commitment to faith AND reason, of the dignity of work - all work, of the rights AND responsibilities of justice, of deep connection to community. And where her description differed from the opinion of many in the church: welcoming of all people - no matter what.
Sister Amata may have been a bit deceiving in looks, at 70+ years of age, but she was awesome. Back in the day, straight out of the noviciate (I think this means novice nun), she went to Berkeley to get her PhD in economics. Imagine being a Catholic nun trying to get a PhD in economics in the '60s at uber-liberal Berkeley. Having to defend her faith as well as her place as an intellectual peer at every turn in a degree program dominated by men. Awesome.
I am loving that I get to work in a place that inspires me this much.
I know that it will at times be frustrating and stressful, but don't burst my happy bubble yet.
No bubble bursting here. The sisters of St. Joseph also started Holy Angels and Bill only had good things to say about them.
ReplyDeleteInspiration is a wonderful thing.
ReplyDeleteMany of my Hmong students are attending your fine institution this fall. I'm excited to meet them (and you) for coffee on campus.
I didn't know about Holy Angels - those CSJ nuns were amazing.
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm very excited to see you, Jen, on campus too.